For twenty years, Krystal Thompson tried nearly every diet and workout plan on the market in an attempt to shrink her body. When she saw minimal change in her weight after a year-long, grueling diet, she decided to try something seemingly radical: allowing her body to dictate its own weight. Krystal tells us how her journey into body positivity and complete self acceptance has enriched and expanded her life in ways she never imagined. Tune in to find out how Krystal stared living her luscious life and how you can too.
Subscribe to The Recovery Warrior Show on iTunes or Stitcher
What You’ll Learn from Krystal Thompson
- How in the quest to shrink our bodies we actually start to shrink our lives
- Why mainstream, westernized yoga culture actually promotes body negativity and diet mentality
- How being “healthy” for the wrongs reasons can be detrimental to your physical and emotional wellbeing
- The importance of practicing self compassion and vocalizing it with your friends, family, and loved ones
- That letting go of concepts of beauty and diet mentality is often a long, slow process
I am worthy just as I am , my worth is not linked to a number on the scale, my value isn’t in how I look, I can be good and worthy and deserving of love just by being exactly who I am in this moment
Favorite Recovery Resources of Krystal Thompson
- Various Facebook support groups – nice to get feedback in real time
- Life Unrestricted podcast with Meret Boxler
- Summer Innanen’s podcast and body positive community
Advice to Former Self
I would like to just give myself a really big hug and let her know that she doesn’t have to do this and doesn’t have to be punishing herself. I would like to take away all that shame and let her know that she isn’t alone and that she will be okay.
Krystal Thompson’s Definition of Recovery
Think of recovery not as an endpoint but more as a journey. Doing our best to practice self compassion and staying connected to our heart. Living as much as we can in connection to the truth that we are enough, exactly as we are.
For Your Journey
- Louise Hay
- The Artists Way by Julia Cameron
- Find professional help through Recovery Warriors Help Finder
- Rise Up + Recover app on Google Play and iTunes