When Neesha Arter was fourteen years old, she was sexually assaulted by people she knew, people she had no reason to mistrust. In an effort to to reconcile feelings of guilt and shame and search for control in a seemingly unraveling world, she turned to anorexia. Ten years later, now an established journalist in New York City Neesha has written a powerful memoir that looks back with healing insight on the importance of speaking uncomfortable truths.
Don’t let them put you in a box. -Neesha
Subscribe to The Recovery Warrior Show on iTunes or Stitcher
What You’ll Learn from my Interview with Neesha Arter:
- Why Neesha wrote her memoir Controlled.
- Why she believes therapy helped heal her.
- How Neesha’s relationship to food and exercise has changed.
- What advice she would give to a teenage girl now.
- What is her definition of recovery.
For Your Journey
- Find professional help on ConnectED
- Rise Up + Recover app on Google Play and iTunes
- Music Credit: “Something to Live For” by Mallory Faye