Obviously, weight is a touchy subject for everyone. If you’ve had an eating disorder, it’s an even harder subject. So when is it OK to know your weight?
I’ve never been a fan of scales. Not ever.
I seriously didn’t used to go to the doctor just because I didn’t want to get on the scale (this was before I knew that you could just ask them to not tell you your weight – duh!). Since I know that weight and BMI really isn’t an indicator of health, I usually don’t see any reason to weight myself or have the nurse tell me my weight when I go to the doctor. I’m a huge fan of the idea of scale smashing too.
I thought this was all fine and dandy. Until I came across an Instagram story from Brandilyn Tebo. She realized that she had become almost afraid to know her weight. I immediately resonated with this! I squeeze my eyes shut at the doctors office and pray that they don’t forget that I said not to tell me the number.
Does this mean that the scale has power over me?
I’m so torn on this subject. Personally, I still don’t like to know my weight. However, I do have a general idea of how much I weigh.
I know that if a nurse does tell me my weight, or I look at the scale while being weighed, it’s not the end of the world. That still doesn’t mean I like it though!
There are pros and cons to both sides of the issue…
Pros to knowing your weight:
- By allowing yourself to be weighed at the doctor and hear the number, it can declare that the number has no power over you.
- You aren’t afraid of it. You can just move on with your day.
- Not being afraid that you may accidentally hear or see the number can be freeing.
Cons to knowing your weight:
- Like I said, your weight really doesn’t matter.
- It’s completely arbitrary and doesn’t have anything to do with your health or your worth as a person.
- It might be triggering for you
- Hearing the number could put you in a bad mood all day
What do you think?
I’m still on the fence about this one…What do you think, warriors? Is being able to be weighed a sign that you’re really recovered? Or do you think it isn’t necessary?